Sodium and Migraines

For years, I've struggled with migraines. These days I get an average of one per month. I can usually push through them, but in the past they would suck out all of my energy and I would have to lay down for a while. Then sometimes I would get nauseous and throw up. They were similar to a really bad hangover. Taking magnesium has helped and so has avoiding processed foods, exercising, getting 7 - 8 hours of sleep, meditation etc. Removing dairy for other reasons also seems to help. I always thought they were hormone related, but then discovered there could be another potential cause, low sodium. I recently had bloodwork done and tested low for sodium. I don't normally use much salt. It's not intentional, I just use black pepper instead of salt to season food. I'm currently working on trying to boost my sodium levels and will see if it has any impact on the few migraines I do get. A study did find an inverse relationship between frequent migraines and low sodium levels. Most people have high sodium levels because of all the fast food and processed foods they eat. High sodium may contribute to high blood pressure though, so keeping sodium levels in the normal range, not too high and not too low, is probably the best approach. Something else to note in regards to sodium, an article by Dr. Mercola talked about how low sodium levels are probably what contributes to the 'keto flu' some people experience on the keto diet. A balanced electrolyte drink may be the best approach to increasing sodium levels as there is a fine balance between magnesium, potassium, chloride and sodium. One of the health experts I follow, just posted a video related to sodium and high blood pressure. Challenge: If you get migraine headaches, have your doctor check your sodium levels. If they won't do it, find a new doctor. If your sodium levels are low, try adding some high quality Himalayan salt to your food or sprinkle in a cup of water. A homemade electrolyte drink such as the one below is also worth trying: 1.5 cups water 1/8 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt Juice from 1/2 lemon squirt of honey, optional Resources: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4836999/ https://www.newscientist.com/article/2101015-does-eating-more-salt-prevent-migraines-and-severe-headaches/ https://trudenta.com/can-electrolytes-prevent-migraines/ https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/11/171128091009.htm #ads More Migraine Resources

Comments