Stress Relief Tips

Today's (4/5/13) Katie Couric show is all about stress relief with special guest Goldie Hawn. I had no idea Goldie Hawn was so knowledgeable. She's really great! She even has a book out called: 10 Mindful Minutes: Giving Our Children--and Ourselves--the Social and Emotional Skills to Reduce Stress and Anxiety for Healthier, Happy Lives
. Goldie talked about aromatherapy using lavender and jasmine. Jasmine is new to me, so I will have to give it a try. She also talked about gratitude stones. Very interesting since I ordered a set of abundance stones from my favorite astrologer Maria Shaw Lawson. The stones she sent me are based on my birthday and are supposed to help bring prosperity and abundance in the coming year. Deepak Chopra was also on talking about eating the colors of the rainbow. He even led a few minute meditation. I'm currently doing his health meditation with Oprah.


Stress does have a bad impact on your health. For me, stress impacts my teeth and gums and probably my blood sugar since that is also an issue for me. The stress of taking care of two kids, paying a mortgage, bills etc. all pretty much by myself has been manageable, but 2 years ago the stress level jumped by 1000 times when I was laid off and at the same time found out what my son's father had been doing behind my back all these years, in addition to his lack of financial help, drinking and coming and going as he pleases. Since I cut him out as much as I can, I feel much better.
A year after that a perfectly normal molar tooth suddenly fractured and became infected, so I had to have it pulled. My dental hygienist has been concerned about my gums for years and really wanted me to go to a periodontist. She thought all along that it was due to stress. She said that again when she found out about my tooth. I thought about it and totally agreed. That was what motivated me to reduce my stress level. I started reading books. These two were especially helpful:

7 Ancient Keys to Happiness - A 90 Day, Lesson-a-Day Guide to Achieving Inner-Bliss

The Power of Now


I even started meditating. At my dentist appointment 4 months ago, my gums were in great shape. My hygienist was very impressed. A homemade tea tree/peppermint oil mouthwash probably helped too. My blood sugar at my last doctor's appointment was also the best it's ever been. The low glycemic, mediterranean diet I follow has helped too.

A few helpful things I've learned so far in trying to reduce my stress levels:

Don't let the actions of others affect the way you feel and don't blame yourself for what someone else does - What someone else does is solely the result of their own actions. You didn't make them do those things. They did it all by themself. If you don't like how they act, remove them from your life.

Take a break by yourself - Working at home with 2 kids, this is tough for me, but it really helps. I usually go upstairs or to the bathroom, even if it's only for a few minutes.

Be grateful for what you have - There is a lot I want, but I also already have a lot.

Declutter and organize - Living in a neat and clean environment is really important for the mind.

Say no - If you don't want to do it, don't.

Be yourself and don't worry what others think

Stay in the moment - Don't dwell on the past. It's already happened and can't be changed. Don't worry about the future. It hasn't happened yet and probably won't even happen the way you imagine it. Things usually work themselves out anyways.

Remove negativity from your life, including people - If something or someone bothers you, remove it from your life. Only include positive things and people.

Eat healthy - The proper foods are really important: organic, whole foods. When I eat food other people have made, I can definitely tell a difference in the way I feel. I get tired and easily irritated. Eating clean gives you energy and makes it easier to stay positive.

Get enough sleep - If I don't get enough sleep, it's really hard to stay focused and positive. I also start getting headaches which makes it hard to work and take care of my sons, so I make sleep a priority.

Meditate - The saying is if you don't have time to meditate, then you REALLY need to meditate. Before I started doing it, I always thought it was kind of hoky, but it really does help. Quieting the mind and listening to your inner self is so important.

Exercise - Another thing that you really have to make time for, but it does help. A few weeks ago, I just didn't make the time and by the end of the week, I was super grumpy. It was really weird. I have a yoga dvd, Shiva Rea: Daily Energy - Vinyasa Flow Yoga , that is really great. There's a very calming 20 minute routine and another Earth routine that helps with making you feel grounded.

Stay on your own path - Everyone has their own purpose. Focus on yours, not those around you who are unwilling to grow. Travel with those who are on similar paths as you.

BREATHE - Use Dr. Weil's 4-7-8 breathing technique: Inhale slowly (so your belly rises) for count of 4, hold your breath for count of 7, exhale for count of 8. Not breathing into your belly doesn't give the body the oxygen it needs for cells to stay healthy. When you start to feel stressed, focus on your feet or your breathing. It really helps and you can do it anywhere.
Reducing stress takes a lot of effort, but in the end it is worth it.


More Stress Relief Tips


Comments