Quit Smoking Today

It's amazing how an addiction can take over your entire life and control you, leaving you completely unaware of the control it has and what it does to your life. Only when you make the decision to quit and break through to the other side of being free are you able to look back and see what it did to you. In my 20's I had a few years where I was definitely an alcoholic, only on the weekends though. By the time Friday night rolled around, it was like a switch flipped and I couldn't wait to drink. I also smoked cigarettes. My life changing event was getting pregnant with my oldest son. Thank God that happened. I shudder to think what would have happened if I didn't quit. Being free of addiction leaves you calm, clear thinking, feeling better, looking better, smelling better and more aware of your true self. A big part of why people end up with an addiction is because they are trying to escape reality. When you sober up, you see that reality is not so bad. People smoke in order to calm their nerves. What they fail to realize is that smoking is the cause of their nerve problems. It's a cycle. You feel anxious, smoke, feel calmer, feel anxious again because of the addiction, give in to the addiction and temporarily feel calm again. I had a period of time where I would get panic attacks. Since I quit smoking, the anxiety is gone. Yoga and meditation are much more effective, and cheaper, techniques to help a person stay calm. It takes a strong person and a lot of determination to give up an addiction. It only works when you really want to do it and you are doing it to improve yourself. If you smoke, don't say you'll quit smoking someday. By then it might be too late. quit smoking today, so you can live to see someday.

Comments

  1. Life moves too fast. As time goes by it's important to focus on staying happy and healthy!

    Healthy Living

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment