Health Benefits of Golf

A few weeks ago, my seven year old went to a birthday party at a miniature golf course called Pine Hills Golf Course in Marcy, New York. It was a nice little course. My son had a great time. It's a good spot to have a birthday party with a bunch of energetic kids. Up the road, around the corner from our house is a golf course. Sometime, when my son is older, we will have to go there. For his first time, he was very good at miniature golf. There is a lot of walking involved when golfing, provided you walk, not ride in a golf cart, so it is a great form of exercise for the upper and lower body. It must work, because whenever I drive by the golf course that's nearby, everyone looks like they are in good shape and not overweight. Golfing is also a great way to get Vitamin D naturally. Vitamin D is the sunshine vitamin and helps prevent cancer, colds and flu, allergies, skin cancer, treat tuberculosis and regulate blood sugar. The majority of people are low or deficient in Vitamin D. When I was first tested three years ago, my Vitamin D level was 17! The recommended range is between 50 and 80. I had no idea how good you can feel when you have an optimal Vitamin D and blood sugar level. All it takes is 15 to 20 minutes of sunshine per day to increase your Vitamin D level. The body also stores Vitamin D for six months, which is a big help during the winter when the sun's rays are not as direct. Golfing is a great form of socialization, which is also beneficial to your health. When I do take my son golfing, we will have to learn about and invest in golfing equipment. We will have to learn the differences between golf drivers and golf putters. If you are looking for a new outdoor activity, golfing might be a good choice.

Comments