Quit Smoking Addictions

Back when I was a teenager, I took up smoking. I quit smoking at 29 when I was pregnant with my oldest son and quit for good at 32 when I was pregnant with my youngest son. After he was born, I knew that if I even had one cigarette once in a while, I wouldn't want to give it up. Fortunately, it was easy for me to quit smoking since I was a light smoker anyways. I just enjoyed the whole act of it and the social aspect.
Now that I've been tobacco free for five years, I don't even like being around the smell, not to mention second-hand smoke is bad for you anyways. No more tobacco smelling clothes or hair. Your sense of smell improves. Food tastes better too. If you smoke and suffer from anxiety or panic attacks, I bet they go away when you quit smoking. When you quit smoking, you will just feel so much better. There is a really great quit smoking timeline at stqp.org that shows the specifics of how your health will improve when you quit smoking.
Another big perk of quitting smoking is more money in your pocket. Prices have risen a lot in the five years since I bought my last pack. I'm in New York, which is one of the highest taxed states on tobacco. Big name brands like Marlboro are almost $10 per pack. That is insane. I can't believe people actually pay that for something that just goes up in smoke and is so harmful to your health and the people around you. You might as well just take the money and burn it. At least your health won't be ruined.
Addictions are a tough thing to overcome. I overcame alcohol and tobacco, and I live with an in denial addict with several addictions. Overcoming an addiction takes a lot of willpower and the mindset that you are going to give it up and move on. It is not until that frame of mind is reached, that an addiction can be overcome. When you overcome the addiction, you will be so glad you did. It is very liberating not to be addicted to something. Leading an open and honest life is so much better than sneaking around and doing things you have to hide. If you have to hide something you are doing, then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
There are tons of books, self-help programs, groups, websites such as http://beatingsmoking.com/, etc. to help people overcome addictions, such as smoking. They are a good start, but in the end, YOU are the only one performing the addictive behavior, and YOU are the only one who can stop performing the addictive behavior. Overcoming an addiction is a tough process, but once you do, you will be so glad you did.

Comments