Paula Deen Type 2 Diabetes

Paula Deen, a well known cook, just announced she was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 3 years ago. She's famous for rich, buttery recipes, so a diabetes diagnosis isn't too big of a surprise. She is using her diagnosis to help others and has launched a website specific to diabetes. It is called Diabetes in a new light. She does have a low fat, low salt, low carb lasagna recipe that sounds pretty good. I try to stay away from pasta, but may have to try it out sometime.
In order to get more recipes, you have to fill out a form and join the site. I was going to join, until I read the fine print about your information going to Novo Nordisk, which is a diabetes health care company. It also talks about your pharmacy sharing with Novo Nordisk your use of "the card". I don't know what "the card" is though. Credit card, prescription card? It also doesn't say if there is a fee to join. I wouldn't mind joining just to check out her recipes, but I'm not going to join due to "the card" sharing, and my info going to Novo Nordisk.
The website is also loaded with advertisements for Victoza. It is a diabetes medication.
Paula has said that diet is not the only factor in developing diabetes. "Genetics, lifestyle, diet, stress and age" also play a part, which she's right, it does. In order to try and reverse diabetes, diet and exercise play a huge part.
It's great she's using her diabetes diagnosis to help people. However, partnering with a drug company isn't the way to help people. Partnering with a drug company seems to be a money making tactic for her. Medication isn't the best way to combat diabetes. The best way to combat diabetes is through diet and exercise changes. It is possible to reverse diabetes through diet and exercise. It takes a lot of self education, self discipline and determination, but it can be done. I've done it.
I do a combination of carb counting, low glycemic foods and raw foods. You need carbohydrates for energy, so you can't just cut them out. I make sure to eat something with carbohydrates at every meal and snack. The key is portion control and to eat low glycemic vegetables to get your carbohydrates, not breads and pastas. Grains eaten should be low glycemic, like barley and brown rice. The mediterranean low glycemic diet plan my doctor put me on calls for 1 serving of grains per day. That is really hard to follow as I love grains, so I've cut down to 3 servings of grains per day. Right now, that seems to work ok for me.
I eat a lot of soups, stews, salads, casseroles and raw fruits and vegetables as opposed to sandwiches and pasta dishes. My numbers are down to normal range and I feel better, so it's worth it.
If you are looking for diabetes friendly recipes that really work, I highly recommend the Ultrametabolism cookbook. The recipes are awesome! Living the GI Diet is also helpful, no pictures though. A good educational book is The GI Mediterranean Diet. It has a few recipes at the end, but measurements are weird. It is full of a lot of useful information every diabetic should read and details the diet plan I am on.
I would rather spend money on healthy food and no medication, and feel better, than spend money on junk food and medication, and feel like crap.

TV Guide: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Paula-Deen-Diabetes-1041964.aspx

US Magazine: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/paula-deen-has-type-2-diabetes-still-eats-fried-foods-in-moderation-2012171

People: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20562069,00.html


More Paula Deen


Comments