Low Glycemic Mediterranean Diet Results

Got my latest batch of blood sugar/cholesterol test results and am very happy to say the low glycemic mediterranean diet I'm on is working! My HbA1c is down to 5.5 from the 5.8 it was 6 months ago and the 5.9 it was a year and a half ago when I started this whole healthy living lifestyle.
I was really pleased to see a significant drop.
My cholesterol is also in great shape. A year and a half ago my triglycerides were 758 and they are now down to 92. LDL and HDL are also good. Pretty amazing. My doctor said if I didn't make the changes I did, that I would be a full blown Type II diabetic by now. Really glad I ended up with a doctor who prefers trying lifestyle changes over sticking you on medication.
I haven't made any exercise changes lately, but I did make two major food changes over the past 6 months. The first major change I made was to cut out 2 servings of grains. I was having a 1/2 cup of oat bran for breakfast. I cut it down to 1/4 cup and added in a cup of low sodium V-8, mainly to get more vegetables and help with the headaches I get. I also try to have grains at lunch or dinner, not both, so I'm down to 4 servings of grains for the day. The low glycemic mediterranean diet calls for just 1 serving of grains a day, which is tough.
The other major change I made was to cut out anything containing high fructose corn syrup. It's amazing all of the foods it is in. Crackers, ketchup, hot dogs, etc. Pretty much just about everything that is processed. Fortunately, food manufacturers are catching on to how bad it is for you and are cutting it out. Heinz is even offering a ketchup called Simply Heinz, which is chemical free. I'm pretty sure that cutting out the HFCS had a lot to do with the drop in my HbA1c. Check out Food Inc. for more info on HFCS if you haven't seen it yet.


More Low Glycemic Info


Comments