Environmental Working Group Bottled Water Safety Report

The Environmental Working Group has just released a report on bottled water. Bottled water is not as pure or as good for you as you might think. Apparently there are only 3 companies out of 173 that are sort of ok. They each scored a B on a scoresheet from A to F. Filtered tap water comes out on top with an A. The top 3 are: Gerber Pure Purified Water, Nestle Pure Life Purified Water, and Penta Ultra-Purified Water. Apparently, most bottled water companies even refuse to divulge the answers to these 3 top questions:

Where does the water come from?

Is it purified? How?

Have tests found any contaminants?

Not only may the bottled water be unsafe to drink, but the plastic water bottle itself may be harmful. The plastic contains chemicals which may leach out into the water, especially if the plastic water bottle becomes heated, such as being left in a warm vehicle.

For my water, I totally lucked out. The land I bought is loaded with natural springs. There is even a little spring up the road where people stop and fill their jugs.
When we first moved here, I had to get the water tested in order to get a construction loan from the bank to build the house. The tests kept coming back positive for coliform, which is a form of bacteria found in the digestive tracts and wastes of animals & humans and in plant & soil material. We bleached the well many times, but could just never get a negative total coliform test, so I bought a countertop Doulton water filter. It was expensive, but worth it in the end since I drink tons of water. I also filter that water using a PUR water filter pitcher.
For a while I used to drink bottled water when away from home. It always tasted different than my tap water and always made me kind of thirsty. Now I know why. It's full of chemicals and not as pure as my home filtered tap water.


More Water Purification


Comments