Walmart is Going Local and Organic

I do pretty much all my shopping, including grocery shopping, at Walmart. Why? I have 2 little ones, so dragging them anywheres is a pain in the butt. I shop once a week, without them. I like to shop quick too. Walmart has everthing I need in one place. I don't need to go to 10 different stores to get what I need. Basically, Walmart is convenient. A one stop shop. Prices are also pretty reasonable.
Ok. That's why I like shopping at Walmart. Convenience and a good price are what's important to me.
What I don't like about Walmart is there are never enough cash registers open and
sometimes it's hard to find fresh produce. Strawberries in the fall, forget it. The past few weeks, the strawberries all have signs of mold. Although I did notice yesterday that Dole has changed strawberry packaging to a long rectangular package. There are 2 single layers of strawberries instead of them being piled on top of each. Maybe that will keep the strawberries fresher. Grapes sometimes have mold problems too.
Not everyone is thrilled with Walmart as they represent corporate America. They take business away from the small, family owned, local stores. I understand.
Apparently, Walmart really cares about their reputation. I read a very interesting article the other day about how Walmart is working on selling more locally grown produce. How exciting is that?!?! I'm very happy to hear that. Maybe moldy strawberries and grapes will be a thing of the past.
I've also noticed Walmart is selling more organic food and healthier versions of various foods. So far I've noticed organic fruit snacks, toms's of maine toothpaste, vegetarian fed ground turkey, organic cracker snacks, organic celery, carrots, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, spinach, yogurt and milk.
With Walmart's attempt at selling organic and local food, I guess maybe it's not such a bad place to shop.


More Organic
More Local Food



Comments