Effects of Meditation

Relaxation! That is a huge part of staying healthy. Stress does not do a body good. Unfortunately, it's pretty much unavoidable. Work, kids, bills, etc. all lead to stress, which over time, leads to health problems such as high blood pressure.
One way to help deal with stress is to meditate. With meditation, you don't notice the effects immediately, but after a few weeks to months, you do feel calmer. At least meditation helps me feel calmer. Sometimes it's hard to find the time to do it, but I try to meditate while I do dishes. I basically just try to stop thinking and concentrate on my breathing. It's hard to do in the beginning. My mind is always wandering, but then I just stop and refocus on the breathing. It gets easier the more you do it.
I wasn't sure how to do meditate at first, so I bought a book called 8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life.. It lists 8 different meditation techniques. You do a different one each week. The techniques are simple and the book is easy to understand. Once you get familiar with the different techniques, you can pick one and use it for just 8 minutes, or longer if you want, a day. Not too time consuming for something that's going to make you feel better. I've heard of people meditating for hours. I don't have that kind of time, but it's not too hard to find an extra 8 minutes.
Meditation is good for the brain too. I read an article the other day which said elderly people with memory problems who meditate 12 minutes per day for two months have improved blood flow and cognitive functioning.
Except for a little bit of time, meditation is free, so sit down, close your eyes, breathe and reap the benefits of the effects of meditation.


Comments