Doctors and Lack of Nutrition Knowledge, Food Matters

Did you know doctors receive little to no training on nutrition in medical school? According to the movie Food Matters, which I highly recommend watching, less than 6% of graduating physicians receive formal training in nutrition. How scary is that? The body is science. You need vitamins and minerals to keep it running healthy and help prevent disease. Vitamins and minerals that you get from eating healthy food and supplementing as needed.
Here is a great article from Natural News on doctors and their lack of health knowledge.
Doctors are taught to treat the symptom, not what's causing the problem to begin with. For example, doctors prescribe medication for things like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, Type II diabetes, when all it takes is a diet and exercise change. Of course though, not everyone is willing to make diet and exercise changes. They would rather pop pills, which leads to side effects and more pills. Good thing for them. Those are the people who keep doctors and big pharma in business.
It's really sad that doctors lack so much knowledge in the area of nutrition and natural health. Their lack of knowledge leads to a lack of knowledge for the patients, who may also be parents who pass the lack of knowledge onto their kids and so on. Unless people are self motivated and go learn things on their own, they just don't know about nutrition. Why it's not taught in school is beyond me. Growing up nobody ever told me about low glycemic foods. When I was a kid, my mother would go grocery shopping and bring us home a full size candy bar, which I would gobble up. A packed school lunch consisted of a sandwich on white bread, a bag of chips, a candy bar, and a juice box, which was not 100% juice. In high school, I would buy a sandwich made with white bread or a bag of chips along with a can of juice. Makes me shudder just thinking about it, and I wonder why my blood sugar is high now. People just have no clue what the food they eat is doing to them. Lunch meat, hot dogs, pepperoni, yeah not a good idea. They are laced with a chemical called sodium nitrite, which is used to retain the color. Sodium nitrite has been linked to brain, pancreas and colon cancer. Who knew?

A few Food Matters tidbits:
Vitamin C is used to cure cancer using Gerson nutritional therapy.
2 handfuls of cashews is equivalent to one dose of Prozac.
Niacin, also known as vitamin B3, nicotinic acid and vitamin PP, is great for dealing with depression.
Wow, food and vitamins used to treat diseases. Imagine that!

When I first heard about the dangers of Bisphenol-A, which is prevalent in plastics, including baby bottles, I asked my sons pediatrician her thoughts. She said: I haven't read anything about that in the medical journals. That is a media thing. LOL. It was about 2 1/2 years ago when I first heard about BPA and I didn't know as much about health and nutrition back then as I do now. I just nodded my head and switched to BPA free bottles just in case. I'm so glad I switched, just wish I had known about it with my oldest.
Anyways, if you haven't seen Food Matters yet, you should, and go check out the article I mentioned above.


Comments