Eating Locally Grown Food in the Mohawk Valley, Vegetable Lasagna

Amazing to see all the people in my area who are online now. On Facebook, Twitter, even blogging. I've been online forever it seems like. Back when I first joined Facebook, there wasn't anyone on there I knew. Now just about every person I ever met is on there.
Finding the local people who blog is cool though. Some interesting people out there in my neighborhood. People around here are actually trying to get healthy too.
One of the local papers, Observer Dispatch, has two staff members who are going to try and eat only locally grown food for 30 days. Pretty cool, and surprisingly enough, I bet it won't be too hard. This area has quite a few farms, farmers markets, and roadside stands around the Mohawk Valley. Here's a link to a few farms and farmer's markets in Herkimer County. I stopped at a roadside stand in Rome on Monday and got peaches and red/green peppers. Those peaches were amazing. Huge and very juicy! I don't know what those things are called peaches in Walmart, but they are nothing like the farmers peaches. It was $3.50 for 5 huge juicy peaches. Awesome deal! Another $4.00 for 2 large green peppers and 5 medium red peppers. Pricing is a little higher than Walmart, but the quality is sooo much better it is definitely worth it. The local food also contains more nutrients as it is most likely picked that day or a day or two beforehand. Walmart's food comes from who knows where and lots of nutrients are lost in transit. I bought a container of strawberries on Monday at Walmart. They looked fine, but today, Thursday, they are starting to get moldy. What's that tell ya?!
Anyways, the two staff memebers are even blogging about their adventures. They have a link to another blogger who actually took this challenge in August.
Interesting read, but you know what got me excited? A post about vegetable lasagna. Ok, with this low glycemic diet I'm on, I gave up white pasta in favor of protein enriched pasta very sparingly, so no more lasagna because I can only find white pasta lasagna noodles. Well, this blogger has a link to a vegetable lasagna recipe on the Food Network website. Best part, no noodles, but I bet it tastes awesome. It uses zucchini and yellow squash instead of noodles, which I have an abundance of at the moment. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Can't wait to make it next weekend.


Comments