Aromatherapy for Colds and Flu

My oldest just started kindergarten last week. By Friday, he was sick already with a fever, cough, runny nose. Unbelievable. Last year he was in preschool and we were sick the entire school year. He turned out to be allergic to penicillin and cephalosporin antibiotics. Azithromycin was ok for him, but who knows if one day he will react to that, so I'm really into treating colds and flu home remedies and natural treatments. My youngest starts wheezing once he gets hit with a cold/flu. Last year he did well with taking liquid vitamin c and Hyland's cold n cough medicine. This time he's refusing, so I'm looking into aromatherapy. That way he has no choice lol. Apparently there are many essential oils which have antibacterial properties, like tea tree oil, and antiviral properties, like eucalyptus oil. Lavender is great for relaxation and calming.
I'm leery of allergic reactions with everything, so I'm not ready to put essential oils on his skin. Just going to try diffusing it into the air. There seem to be a variety of aromatherapy diffusers.
Reed diffusers where you put the essential oils into a glass container, stick a reed in, and the oil travels up the reed. There are warmers which heat the oil and disperse it into the air. Although I read that heating the oil loses its antibacterial/antiviral properties. You can also make your own diffuser by adding a few drops of essential oil to a glass jar and put a cotton ball on top. You can also just put a drop of essential oil on a cotton ball, I'm using a paper towel at the moment, and set it nearby.
That seems to be working out ok. Kids are delicate, so I don't want to overpower us.
You can also add a few drops of essential oil to a vaporizer, which I do with apple cider vinegar as that has antiviral/antibacterial properties. BTW, apple cider vinegar is so great, it is worthy of a future post.
Aromatherapy seems to be a really great natural rememdy. I'm definitely going to have to get a couple of books on aromatherapy, so stay tuned for aromatherapy tips as cold and flu season progresses.


Comments