Homemade Sweet Pickle Relish - Canned

I was browsing online and came across a canning recipe for sweet pickle relish, which I love on a hot dog, nitrite/nitrate free of course, mixed with tuna, or on a sandwich. I took a look at the ingredient list on a jar of store bought sweet pickle relish that I had in the frig to see if it was worth the time to try making my own sweet pickle relish. Surprise, surprise one of the first ingredients listed was high fructose corn syrup. Definitely worth my time to make my own sweet pickle relish.
A little time consuming, but a pretty painless process. What took the longest was waiting for the water to boil.
I made up my own recipe as follows by combining two different recipes I found online here and here.

4 cucumbers, chopped very small
1 onion, chopped very small
1 green pepper, chopped very small
1 red pepper, chopped very small
1/4 cup canning/pickling salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 tbs whole mustard seed
1 tbs whole celery seed

Combine cucumbers, onions, green/red peppers in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Cover with cold water and let stand 2 hours.
Meanwhile, sterilize your canning jars, lids and seals. Boil water in a shallow pan. Add jars, lids and seals. Boil for 3 - 5 minutes.
Drain vegetables. Add sugar, vingegar, mustard and celery seeds. Combine well and add to a large saucepot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
Pack hot relish into canning jars leaving a little headspace in the jar and seal tightly.
Add jars to hot water bath canner. Cover jars with water. Once the water is boiling, leave the jars in for 10 minutes.

To chop the vegetables, I used the small dicing plate on my onion chopper. Worked very well and didn't take long.
I also used wide mouth half pint jars. This recipe made 12 jars plus a little extra.

Comments