Freezing Zucchini, FoodSaver

My latest goal is to clean out the freezer of all processed items and replace them with sealed freezer bags of food that I make, which is much more nutritious and not full of high fructose corn syrup and msg. I can't believe all of the recipes you can find online. Last weekend I made my own graham crackers. I found a recipe for wheat thin crackers. Next weekend I'm going to make mini pie tarts to replace the toaster strudel and pop tarts. I will post the recipe at some point.
Today I made zucchini bread. Yum it's soooo good!!!! I made a full loaf and eight mini loaves. I sliced the mini loaves and placed them into freezer bags using my FoodSaver. My new favorite kitchen item. I've had it for about seven years, but forgot about it, until a few weeks ago when I rediscovered it. It's just a small version, but it's awesome for freezing food. Food stays fresher much longer than regular zip freezer bags. My little 5 year old starts kindergarten soon and I have to supply all of his snacks and I plan on packing his lunch. He loves zucchini bread, so now during the winter I can pull out one of the frozen mini loaves and pack that for his snack.
I've been trying to freeze as much zucchini and yellow squash as I can. Store bought zucchini/yellow squash is expensive and pretty sick looking, tasting and feeling with all the wax on them. Yuck!
To freeze the zucchini/yellow squash, what I do is rinse it in cold water, and then using my vidalia onion chopper, diced it up into pieces. Add to the freezer bag and put in the freezer for several hours. If I don't freeze it first, the FoodSaver tends to suck the juice out of the vegetables and then stops working. Once the vegeatables are frozen, I seal the bags using the FoodSaver. The FoodSaver sucks all the air out of the bag, so that it is vacuum packed. It's pretty cool.


Comments