The Vitamin D, Magnesium and Migraine Connection

Vitamin D seems to be the hot vitamin lately. I was actually deficient. 9 months ago my Vitamin D level was at 17.2. My doctor put me on 5000 IU of Vitamin D-3 per day and 3 months later, my Vitamin D level was 51.2. Around that time I started getting migraine headaches around the temple area. My doctor suggested taking a magnesium supplement of 400mg per day. I hate taking anything, so I delayed taking it for about 3 months. I couldn't stand the headaches anymore, so I did some research on magnesium and ordered 225 mg Magnesium Citrate tablets. I take half of one per day and the headaches have definitely improved. I'm still getting them, just not as frequent or as intense as they were. I tried taking a full tablet, but I got kind of queasy and anxious feeling. Fairly soon, I think I may try taking a half tablet twice a day to see if that gets rid of the headaches.
Apparently most people are magnesium deficient, and a magnesium deficiency will cause migraines.
Magnesium is also needed in order to absorb Vitamin D, so taking Vitamin D will aggravate a magnesium deficiency even more, which is probably why the headaches started getting worse as my Vitamin D level improved.
There are many different forms of magnesium, but apparently magnesium citrate is fairly well absorbed by the body. The commonly found magnesium oxide is not absorbed as well.
Magnesium is important for strong bones. It helps prevent heart attacks and is useful in treating anxiety/panic attacks. Magnesium is a relaxant. I do feel much calmer since I started taking it. Magnesium also helps lower the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
Magnesium is found in nuts/seeds, whole grains, fish and green leafy vegetables.
Magnesium is also in V-8 juice. About 2 weeks ago I had a headache in the back of my head. I drank half a glass of V-8 and laid down. The headache started going away, but wasn't completely gone, so a little over an hour later, I drank another half glass of V-8. An hour later the headache was pretty much gone and I was able to go to sleep. For a headache home remedy, drinking a glass of V-8 is worth a try. I get the low sodium version. Now I make sure to drink at least a half glass of V-8 per day.


Further reading:

Dr. Sarfraz Zaidi's website


Comments