Rye bread: the healthy grain

I had my 6 month checkup yesterday at the doctors. My cholesterol has stayed about the same as 6 months ago and my blood sugar went up just a bit, basically because I was testing myself by eating a little bit more pasta than I should. Pretty interesting. It was protein enriched pasta, but it still made my A1C go from 5.7 to 5.8. I was having 5 servings of grain per day, but am now going to cut down to 3 servings of grain per day and see what the A1C is in 6 months. My low glycemic mediterranean diet plan actually calls for 1 serving of grain per day. That's very low and is really hard to do, but may be necessary to get my blood sugar numbers down even further.
Bread is bad though. It really kills your blood sugar if you're not careful about how much you eat. Most bread also contains high fructose corn syrup, which doesn't help any. Apparently rye is good. It is absorbed more slowly(low glycemic) and contains "phytonutrients that help you lose weight and improve metabolism". According to the article in that link, rye turns on genes which help prevent diabetes, lower cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and improve blood sugar control. WHEAT turns on inflammatory genes which lead to obesity and disease. That's exactly what my doctor told me. So glad I go to a doctor who believes in diet and exercise changes over giving in to big pharma and automatically prescribing medications.
Try this: make no other diet or exercise changes other than switching from wheat bread to rye bread. Give it 2 months, even 1 month. I guarantee you will lose weight. That is what I did. Actually I discovered it by accident. I decided to try the Blood Type diet. I'm type O and rye is recommended. I lost weight and then switched back to wheat, regaining the weight. A year later I discovered my blood sugar problems and switched back to rye, since it has a lower glycemic index than wheat. The weight came off again and has stayed off for 5 months now.
I'm only 9 months into eating healthy and the impact of different foods on your health is just amazing, and very scary.


Further reading:

UltraWellness


Comments