Exercise, Interval Training, Triglyceride Results

In September of '09, blood work discovered I had a cholesterol problem. My triglycerides were 758. Triglycerides indicate the amount of fat in your blood. They are supposed to be less than 150. Yeah, crazy and I'm not even overweight, but I do have a sedentary computer job writing software.
Along with the low glycemic mediterranean diet my doctor put me on, I stepped up my workout. I've always exercised 4 days a week, 20 - 30 minutes, but I don't think I was doing it intensely enough.
What I did was buy 4 different Jillian Michaels/Biggest Loser dvds. They are awesome! Jillian is the best though. She kicks your butt. Cholesterol results: 3 months later, my triglycerides were 105 and at my last appointment a couple days ago: 119.

Here's a rundown of my exercise routine:
Tuesday: Power Sculpt, Level 2 with Kim: 10 minutes, plus 10 minutes for warm up and cool down for a total of 20 minutes.
Wednesday: 30 Day Shred, Level 1 with Jillian: 25 minutes. This has 3 levels. The first kicks your butt, the second even more so. I haven't made it to Level 3 yet, but am getting ready to switch to Level 2 soon.
Thursday: No More Trouble Zones with Jillian: about 25 minutes total. I skip through this dvd and do the warm up, 4 1/2 circuits and the cool down.
Friday: Cardio Max, Level 2 with Jillian: 10 minutes, plus 10 minutes for warm up and cool down for a total of 20 minutes. Jillian really makes you sweat in just 10 minutes.

My doctor said these workouts are great because they do interval training, which is doing bursts of high intensity work. This causes the body to work at a higher level and burns fat more effectively. I definitely notice a difference. I have muscle now and am more toned.
Exercise helps you lose weight and feel better, reduces blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol. It also helps the brain by removing stress chemicals, increasing alertness and reducing the risk of dementia.



Comments