Indoor Organic Vegetable Gardening Results December 2011




My indoor organic vegetable garden is coming along great! I have lettuce, tomato, basil, cucumber and cilantro growing. I planted pepper seeds, but they didn't come up. I also have another tomato plant just starting to come up. I should have lettuce ready to eat in another week or two.
I've never had much luck with growing vegetables indoors, but the grow lights I bought have made a BIG difference. The plants are responding really well to it. The lettuce seeds sprouted in less than a week. The leaves also seem greener. I bought the grow lights from Amazon.com, Hydrofarm Jump Start T5 Grow Light System, for less than $60. They are really cool! It is a 4 foot long light that is suspended from a metal stand. The only downside is the whole system is 50 inches long, so it won't fit on a 4 foot table. For now, I have it sitting on the floor. I may buy a 5 foot long banquet table to put it on. Hydrofarm also sells a 2 foot grow light system
that would fit underneath a table, so I may buy 2 of those at some point.
I also have a fish tank set up with two algae eaters. Apparently, fish waste is full of nutrients that plants thrive on.
My goal is to produce fresh organic vegetables throughout the winter, so that I don't have to buy them. So far, so good.


More Indoor Gardening


Comments